Latino Victory Fund and Latino Decisions release 12 battleground state Latino pollOnline Only, Section 4A, Top Highlights Friday, July 29th, 2016
The poll results showed that Latinos prefer the Democratic policy platform over the Republican policy platform. In addition, over 50% of Latinos believe Hillary Clinton would be the best candidate to deal with a wide array of issues.
“For years we’ve heard people repeat Reagan’s saying that Latinos are Republicans, they just don’t know it. Today’s poll shows that this is not the case – 64% of Latinos said that on the issues that matter the most to them, they agree with the Democratic Party. Latinos want a higher minimum wage, action on climate change, background checks before being able to buy a gun, and they believe in a woman’s right to make her own reproductive health decisions,” said Cesar J. Blanco, interim director of Latino Victory Fund. “Latinos overwhelmingly favor Hillary Clinton – 71% say they would vote for Hillary Clinton if the election were held today, and 75% of Latinos believe Hillary is the best candidate to unite Americans of all backgrounds; It’s clear that Latinos want progressive policies, they want Hillary in the White House and they know she will act on the issues that matter to us most.”
Sylvia Manzano, Principal at Latino Decisions said, “On all range of issues, Latino voters align with the Democratic policy agenda. They view Hillary Clinton as the best candidate to address the economy, foreign policy, education, and they also see Hillary Clinton as someone who will stand up for them. “
You can find full poll results here.
Key poll findings
- Overall party platform:
- 64% of Latinos say that on the issues that are most important to them, they agree with the Democratic Party
- Gun Control:
- 95% of Latinos want background checks
- 67% want to ban assault weapon sales
- 65% say they wouldn’t feel safer with more guns
- 58% want Congress to consider new gun laws
- Workplace policies:
- 94% of Latinos support equal pay for women
- 86% of Latinos support getting paid leave for a newborn child or to take care of an ill family member
- 68% of Latinos agree with a minimum wage of $15
- Immigration Reform:
- 82% of Latinos believe Congress should pass immigration reform to create a pathway to citizenship, keep families together, and enable millions of workers to come out of the shadows
- Climate Change:
- 80% of Latinos believe Congress should address climate change by supporting clean energy technology and jobs
- Women’s Reproductive Health:
- 68% of Latinos believe that laws should not interfere with a woman’s access to reproductive health care, including contraception and safe, legal abortion.
- Hillary is the best candidate to deal with…:
- 71% of Latinos think Hillary would be the best candidate to deal with making college more affordable
- 70% of Latinos think Hillary would be the best candidate to deal with representing the U.S. around the world
- 65% of Latinos think Hillary would be the best candidate to deal with choosing next Supreme Court judges
- 64% of Latinos think Hillary would be the best candidate to deal with criminal justice reform
- Voting for GOP candidate who supports Trump
- 62% of Latinos would be less likely to vote for a GOP official who disagrees with Trump but who supports Trump
- Well-being of Latino community:
- 76% of Latinos believe that if Trump is elected President, that he won’t stand up for or protect the Latino community.
Short URL: http://lgbtweekly.com/?p=72686